US Navy rescues 10 Iranian sailors in Gulf of Oman
Dubai: The US Navy says it has rescued 10 mariners who claim to be Iranian from a burning boat in the Gulf of Oman.
Yesterday`s rescue by the USS James E Williams is at least the seventh involving Iranian sailors in nearly two years and is a reminder of US efforts to demonstrate the humanitarian value of its naval presence in the Gulf, a strategic waterway the Iranian government has threatened to close in retaliation for international sanctions over its nuclear program.
The sailors were rescued from a traditional wooden boat flying an Iranian flag and transported aboard the US vessel where they received medical treatment and are awaiting transport to aircraft carrier USS Enterprise, which is coordinating repatriation efforts, said Lt Greg Raelson, spokesman for the Navy`s Bahrain-based 5th Fleet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor