US Navy to name research vessel after Neil Armstrong
Washington: US Navy Monday announced to name a new class of research vessels after Neil Armstrong, the first man to land on the Moon in 1969, to honour the late astronaut.
The first Armstrong-class Auxiliary General Oceanographic Research (AGOR) ship will be named Neil Armstrong, the US Navy Secretary Ray Mabus said.
"Neil Armstrong rightly belongs to the ages as the man who first walked on the moon. While he was a true pioneer of space exploration and science, he was also a combat-proven naval aviator," said Mabus.
"Naming this class of ships and this vessel after Neil Armstrong honours the memory of an extraordinary individual, but more importantly, it reminds us all to embrace the challenges of exploration and to never stop discovering," he said.
Armstrong`s widow Carol will serve as the ship`s sponsor.
In a statement, US Navy said the Armstrong-class AGOR ship will be a modern oceanographic research platform equipped with acoustic equipment capable of mapping the deepest parts of the oceans, and modular on-board laboratories that will provide the flexibility to meet a wide variety of oceanographic research challenges.
These make them capable of supporting a wide range of oceanographic research activities conducted by academic institutions and national laboratories.
Additionally, the research vessel will be outfitted with multi-drive, low-voltage diesel electric propulsion systems.
This upgraded system will maintain engine efficiency while lowering maintenance and fuel costs, it said.
Armstrong-class AGOR ships will be 238 feet in length, have a beam length of 50 feet, and operate at more than 12 knots.
AGOR 27 is currently under construction by Dakota Creek Industries in Washington State.
On August 25, Armstrong has died at the age of 82.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand