US: Nikki Haley cashing in on union bashing video
Washington: South Carolina`s Indian American Governor Nikki Haley is trying to cash in on a recent video featuring a state union leader bashing a purple and black pinata, a decorative hanging, bearing her face.
Haley sent out a donation request via Twitter, calling on people to stand with her against what she calls "bullying" from union leaders, according to ABC news.
"Stand with me and help fight back now against the bullying of Liberal unions. Donate here," Haley tweeted along with a link to a fundraising page featuring the video.
In the YouTube video uploaded on Sunday, Donna Dewitt, president of the state`s AFL-CIO, the biggest US labour organisation, is seen dealing nine intense blows with a baseball bat to the pinata bearing Haley`s photo and a quote of hers: "Unions are not needed, wanted or welcome in South Carolina”.
The Republican Governors Association also released a one-minute video called "Does President (Barack) Obama Condone This?" linking the President to the incident.
The video features a clip of Obama from March when he condemned the controversial comments conservative radio show host Rush Limbaugh made about Sandra Fluke, a Georgetown law student and contraception activist, inter-spliced with footage of the pinata smashing incident.
The video ends with the phrase "Does President Obama condone this kind of behaviour from union bosses?" emblazoned across the screen as Dewitt continues to pound the Haley pinata.
The national AFL-CIO said the incident was not "an appropriate joke" and "There`s plenty to talk about in Governor Haley`s awful record" in a serious conversation about how to rebuild America and its middle class.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Piers Morgan pokes fun at India's performance in Rio: Here's how Virender Sehwag SHUT him down
- Raj Thackeray defies SC order, MNS ties Dahi-Handi at 49 feet in Thane
- Fashion for me is feeling glamorous, confident: Shraddha Kapoor
- Jio does Apple, people throng Reliance Stores for free 4G test SIM
- SHOCKING: DySP forces women trainees to mention their period dates, makes fun of pregnant cadet