US: Nikki Haley cashing in on union bashing video
Washington: South Carolina`s Indian American Governor Nikki Haley is trying to cash in on a recent video featuring a state union leader bashing a purple and black pinata, a decorative hanging, bearing her face.
Haley sent out a donation request via Twitter, calling on people to stand with her against what she calls "bullying" from union leaders, according to ABC news.
"Stand with me and help fight back now against the bullying of Liberal unions. Donate here," Haley tweeted along with a link to a fundraising page featuring the video.
In the YouTube video uploaded on Sunday, Donna Dewitt, president of the state`s AFL-CIO, the biggest US labour organisation, is seen dealing nine intense blows with a baseball bat to the pinata bearing Haley`s photo and a quote of hers: "Unions are not needed, wanted or welcome in South Carolina”.
The Republican Governors Association also released a one-minute video called "Does President (Barack) Obama Condone This?" linking the President to the incident.
The video features a clip of Obama from March when he condemned the controversial comments conservative radio show host Rush Limbaugh made about Sandra Fluke, a Georgetown law student and contraception activist, inter-spliced with footage of the pinata smashing incident.
The video ends with the phrase "Does President Obama condone this kind of behaviour from union bosses?" emblazoned across the screen as Dewitt continues to pound the Haley pinata.
The national AFL-CIO said the incident was not "an appropriate joke" and "There`s plenty to talk about in Governor Haley`s awful record" in a serious conversation about how to rebuild America and its middle class.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees