US NSA rules for `snooping` on citizens revealed
Washington: The rules that US` National Security Agency (NSA) follows for the alleged inadvertent `snooping` on its own citizens have reportedly been revealed.
According to ABC News, the documents revealed point to the ways NSA takes to avoid spying on citizens individually by following a protocol called `minimization` and what it does with the information later on.
The methods incorporated for the alleged `snooping` are stamped 2009 and signed by Attorney General Eric Holder.
According to the report, the ` minimization procedures` include checking the phone number or email address of the potential target against a database the agency keeps containing information on known American phone and electronic communication information.
The numbers are then tallied with the database and if they match then the person cannot be spied on in any circumstances, whereas if it indicates any `foreignness` then it is presumed to be a non-US person.
However, the documents suggest that if a person under surveillance is found to be in US then the NSA process of spying is immediately stopped.
The rules allow require NSA to not destroy the acquired communication records if there is a `reasonable belief` that they contain significant foreign intelligence information,` `evidence of a crime,` or are encrypted or pose a `threat of serious harm to life or property.`
The NSA`s snooping programme was made public by whistleblower Edward Snowden who blamed the US agencies for infringing on the privacy rights of its citizens on the pretext of national security.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read