US: Obama honours Medal of Freedom recipients
Washington: US President Barack Obama honoured political and cultural icons -- including former secretary of state Madeleine Albright, astronaut John Glenn, Israeli president Shimon Peres and rock legend Bob Dylan -- with the Medal of Freedom at a White House ceremony on Tuesday.
The Medal of Freedom is highest civilian US honour. It`s presented to individuals who have made especially meritorious contributions to the national interests of the United States, to world peace or to other significant endeavours.
In awarding the nation`s highest civilian honour to 13 recipients, living and dead, the President took note of the overflowing crowd in the East Room and said it was "a testament to how cool this group is. Everybody wanted to check `em out".
Obama then spoke of his personal connection to a number of this year`s recipients, calling them "my heroes individually".
"I know how they impacted my life," the President said. He recalled reading Morrison`s "Song of Solomon" in his youth and "not just trying to figure out how to write, but also how to be and how to think".
Recipients this year also included:
Albright was the first woman to hold the top US diplomatic job, while Glenn was the first American to orbit the earth. And Dylan`s vast catalogue of songs includes such rock classics as "Like a Rolling Stone”, "Blowin` in the Wind" and "Mr Tambourine Man”.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Met Dawood Ibrahim in London, he wanted to return to India: Ram Jethmalani
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem