US offered me military aid to battle regime: Iran militant
Tehran: Captured Iranian Sunni militant Abdolmalek Rigi said in a "confession" aired on state television on Friday that the United States offered to provide him with military aid to battle the Islamic regime.
Rigi`s arrest, which Iran touted as a blow to the United States and Britain, came as Tehran faces pressure by world powers and the threat of tougher sanctions over its controversial nuclear programme.
The Americans "said they would cooperate with us and will give me military equipment," Rigi said in a pre-recorded statement broadcast on Iran`s state-run English-language Press TV.
"They also promised to give us a base along the border with Afghanistan near Iran," said the ringleader, stubble-faced, wearing blue prison pyjamas and speaking in Farsi.
Rigi was seized on Tuesday after Iranian warplanes reportedly forced a flight from Dubai to Kyrgyzstan to land in Iran.
It was not clear under what conditions the confessions were extracted from Rigi, whose group the Jundallah (Soldiers of God) has waged a deadly insurgency in southeastern Iran killing military officials as well as civilians.
Rigi said in his taped statement that he was on his way to meet a "high-ranking American person" in Kyrgyzstan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- When Muslim dies they give 20 lakhs, but Hindu doesn't even get 20,000: Sakshi Maharaj