US offered me military aid to battle regime: Iran militant
Tehran: Captured Iranian Sunni militant Abdolmalek Rigi said in a "confession" aired on state television on Friday that the United States offered to provide him with military aid to battle the Islamic regime.
Rigi`s arrest, which Iran touted as a blow to the United States and Britain, came as Tehran faces pressure by world powers and the threat of tougher sanctions over its controversial nuclear programme.
The Americans "said they would cooperate with us and will give me military equipment," Rigi said in a pre-recorded statement broadcast on Iran`s state-run English-language Press TV.
"They also promised to give us a base along the border with Afghanistan near Iran," said the ringleader, stubble-faced, wearing blue prison pyjamas and speaking in Farsi.
Rigi was seized on Tuesday after Iranian warplanes reportedly forced a flight from Dubai to Kyrgyzstan to land in Iran.
It was not clear under what conditions the confessions were extracted from Rigi, whose group the Jundallah (Soldiers of God) has waged a deadly insurgency in southeastern Iran killing military officials as well as civilians.
Rigi said in his taped statement that he was on his way to meet a "high-ranking American person" in Kyrgyzstan.
- Will Sonia Gandhi answer RSS's claim of igniting riots in the country?
- DNA: Only 4% of Indian polpulation pays income tax
- Police arrest person accused of abducting woman in Bengaluru
- Scientists find three Earth-sized planets orbiting dwarf star
- Kerala: Dalit law student brutally raped, murdered in Ernakulam
- RSS is against westernization, not modernization: Nitin Gadkari
- AAP govt, MCDs have responsibility to pay salaries: HC
- Bengaluru tops online learning in India: Coursera
- 50% Indian corporates open to working with start-ups
- SC notice to Centre, state governments on PIL for uploading FIR within 24 hours