US officials apologise for Asiana crash names gaffe
Washington: US officials apologised late Friday for mistakenly confirming false and offensive names identifying the pilots of the Asiana flight that crashed in San Francisco last weekend, leaving three dead and scores injured.
Fox network affiliate KTVU news Channel 2 in Oakland identified the pilots in their noon broadcast Friday as "Sum Ting Wong", "Wi Tu Lo", "Ho Lee Fuk", and "Bang Ding Ow".
KTVU cited the National Transportation Safety Board as their source, but quickly realised the mistake and apologised.
"These names were not accurate despite an NTSB official in Washington confirming them late this morning," KTVU said.
The NTSB later apologised for the "inaccurate and offensive names that were mistakenly confirmed" as those of the Asiana pilots -- and blamed the mistake on an intern.
"In response to an inquiry from a media outlet, a summer intern acted outside the scope of his authority when he erroneously confirmed the names of the flight crew on the aircraft," the statement read.
The NTSB "does not release or confirm the names of crewmembers or people involved in transportation accidents to the media," the board said.
"Appropriate actions will be taken to ensure that such a serious error is not repeated."
The NTSB told the San Francisco Chronicle that the offensive names "originated at the media outlet", and that the intern did not realise they were offensive and was "acting in good faith and trying to be helpful".
Three people died when Asiana Airlines Flight 214 crashed while landing at San Francisco International Airport on July 06 and more than 180 were injured.
In Seoul, Asiana Airlines earlier identified the pilot flying the Boeing 777 that crashed as Lee Kang-Kuk, 46.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof