US: Pak-origin cab driver`s status hearing cancelled

Raja Lahrasib Khan, 56, is accused of sending money to Ilyas Kashmiri.

Chicago: The status hearing of Raja Lahrasib Khan, the 56-year-old Pakistani-origin cab driver accused of sending money to Ilyas Kashmiri, a top commander of al Qaeda, was not held on Friday and was continued to another date.

"There was a conflict in the schedules between both sides on availability for today`s proceedings," courtroom deputy Donald Walker said.

Walker said that the government and defence requested a new date for a status hearing.

"Both sides could not be here today and new dates have not yet been determined," Walker added.

Khan, a Pakistani-American, was arrested on March 26 last year when he was driving his cab in downtown Chicago. He was accused of sending a few thousand dollars to Ilyas Kashmiri, a top commander of al Qaeda, so that Kashmiri could purchase explosives.

Khan is also accused of planning to bomb a US stadium last August.

Khan`s son was apprehended by FBI agents at Chicago O`Hare Airport last year on March 23 because Khan tried to send money through his son given to him by an undercover agent, according to court documents.

Khan has been charged with two counts of providing material support to terrorism, with each count carrying a maximum penalty of 15 years in prison and a USD 250,000 fine.

PTI

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can find out more by clicking this link

Close