US panel calls for tough measures against China
Washington: A Congressional advisory panel
has urged the Obama Administration to adopt tougher approach towards China given the "aggressive" and "assertive" nature of
Beijing`s economic and military power in recent years.
"While China has taken some steps to engage the
international community, by and large the Communist Party of
China (CCP) has continued to steer policy in its own narrow
self-interest at home and abroad, often without regard for
international rules and norms," said a report of the US-China
Economic and Security Review Commission.
"As a result, worldwide concern about China is growing as
more people see the implications of the rise of a powerful
authoritarian state," said the voluminous 414-page report sent
to the Congress yesterday.
The Commission Chairman, William Reinsch, said China has
yet to create a system that effectively protects intellectual
property; something that is required of all WTO members.
But US business software companies still report that
China is the world`s largest source of pirated software.
"Even more disturbing, China has stepped backward from
its original promise to lower trade barriers and to treat
foreign products and services fairly," he alleged.
"When combined with the military`s excessive focus on
other disruptive military capabilities, such as counterspace
operations, it presents an image of Chinese intentions that
diverges significantly from Beijing`s official policy of
peaceful development," Reinsch said.
"As a result of China`s growing economic and military
strength, Beijing increasingly acts with greater assertiveness
on the international stage," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Kareena Kapoor Khan not in ‘Veerey Di Wedding’? Sonam Kapoor will tell you the truth
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Italy near Perugia – USGS
- Turning the tide on hair loss
- Rajnath Singh in Kashmir, says those who believe in 'Kashmiriyat' are welcome for talks
- Biopic should be made on PT Usha, says Sonam Kapoor