US panel calls for tough measures against China
Washington: A Congressional advisory panel
has urged the Obama Administration to adopt tougher approach towards China given the "aggressive" and "assertive" nature of
Beijing`s economic and military power in recent years.
"While China has taken some steps to engage the
international community, by and large the Communist Party of
China (CCP) has continued to steer policy in its own narrow
self-interest at home and abroad, often without regard for
international rules and norms," said a report of the US-China
Economic and Security Review Commission.
"As a result, worldwide concern about China is growing as
more people see the implications of the rise of a powerful
authoritarian state," said the voluminous 414-page report sent
to the Congress yesterday.
The Commission Chairman, William Reinsch, said China has
yet to create a system that effectively protects intellectual
property; something that is required of all WTO members.
But US business software companies still report that
China is the world`s largest source of pirated software.
"Even more disturbing, China has stepped backward from
its original promise to lower trade barriers and to treat
foreign products and services fairly," he alleged.
"When combined with the military`s excessive focus on
other disruptive military capabilities, such as counterspace
operations, it presents an image of Chinese intentions that
diverges significantly from Beijing`s official policy of
peaceful development," Reinsch said.
"As a result of China`s growing economic and military
strength, Beijing increasingly acts with greater assertiveness
on the international stage," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery