US panel calls for tough measures against China
Washington: A Congressional advisory panel
has urged the Obama Administration to adopt tougher approach towards China given the "aggressive" and "assertive" nature of
Beijing`s economic and military power in recent years.
"While China has taken some steps to engage the
international community, by and large the Communist Party of
China (CCP) has continued to steer policy in its own narrow
self-interest at home and abroad, often without regard for
international rules and norms," said a report of the US-China
Economic and Security Review Commission.
"As a result, worldwide concern about China is growing as
more people see the implications of the rise of a powerful
authoritarian state," said the voluminous 414-page report sent
to the Congress yesterday.
The Commission Chairman, William Reinsch, said China has
yet to create a system that effectively protects intellectual
property; something that is required of all WTO members.
But US business software companies still report that
China is the world`s largest source of pirated software.
"Even more disturbing, China has stepped backward from
its original promise to lower trade barriers and to treat
foreign products and services fairly," he alleged.
"When combined with the military`s excessive focus on
other disruptive military capabilities, such as counterspace
operations, it presents an image of Chinese intentions that
diverges significantly from Beijing`s official policy of
peaceful development," Reinsch said.
"As a result of China`s growing economic and military
strength, Beijing increasingly acts with greater assertiveness
on the international stage," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'