US panel calls for tough measures against China
Washington: A Congressional advisory panel
has urged the Obama Administration to adopt tougher approach towards China given the "aggressive" and "assertive" nature of
Beijing`s economic and military power in recent years.
"While China has taken some steps to engage the
international community, by and large the Communist Party of
China (CCP) has continued to steer policy in its own narrow
self-interest at home and abroad, often without regard for
international rules and norms," said a report of the US-China
Economic and Security Review Commission.
"As a result, worldwide concern about China is growing as
more people see the implications of the rise of a powerful
authoritarian state," said the voluminous 414-page report sent
to the Congress yesterday.
The Commission Chairman, William Reinsch, said China has
yet to create a system that effectively protects intellectual
property; something that is required of all WTO members.
But US business software companies still report that
China is the world`s largest source of pirated software.
"Even more disturbing, China has stepped backward from
its original promise to lower trade barriers and to treat
foreign products and services fairly," he alleged.
"When combined with the military`s excessive focus on
other disruptive military capabilities, such as counterspace
operations, it presents an image of Chinese intentions that
diverges significantly from Beijing`s official policy of
peaceful development," Reinsch said.
"As a result of China`s growing economic and military
strength, Beijing increasingly acts with greater assertiveness
on the international stage," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog