US panel OKs missile defence site on East Coast
Washington: The House of Representatives Armed Services Committee has voted to build a missile defence site on the East Coast even though the Pentagon says the facility is unnecessary.
The panel rejected an amendment by Democratic Rep. John Garamendi to eliminate funds for the project. The vote was 33-28 on yesterday.
The bill calls for construction of the site by the end of 2015 and includes USD 100 million to study possible sites. Democrats estimated that the project could cost nearly USD 5 billion.
Pentagon officials told Congress earlier this year that the threats facing the nation do not require a site on the East Coast.
The committee is crafting its version of next year`s defence bill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch