US panel OKs missile defence site on East Coast
Washington: The House of Representatives Armed Services Committee has voted to build a missile defence site on the East Coast even though the Pentagon says the facility is unnecessary.
The panel rejected an amendment by Democratic Rep. John Garamendi to eliminate funds for the project. The vote was 33-28 on yesterday.
The bill calls for construction of the site by the end of 2015 and includes USD 100 million to study possible sites. Democrats estimated that the project could cost nearly USD 5 billion.
Pentagon officials told Congress earlier this year that the threats facing the nation do not require a site on the East Coast.
The committee is crafting its version of next year`s defence bill.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- It was Lalu who pulled and hugged me, will continue to fight corruption, clarifies Arvind Kejriwal