US panel OKs missile defence site on East Coast
Washington: The House of Representatives Armed Services Committee has voted to build a missile defence site on the East Coast even though the Pentagon says the facility is unnecessary.
The panel rejected an amendment by Democratic Rep. John Garamendi to eliminate funds for the project. The vote was 33-28 on yesterday.
The bill calls for construction of the site by the end of 2015 and includes USD 100 million to study possible sites. Democrats estimated that the project could cost nearly USD 5 billion.
Pentagon officials told Congress earlier this year that the threats facing the nation do not require a site on the East Coast.
The committee is crafting its version of next year`s defence bill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’ Salman Khan weaves magic at BO; to register Rs 500 crore soon!