US, Philippine marines hold drill near Spratlys
Manila: About 3,000 US and Filipino marines have started two weeks of military drills in the Philippines that will include a hostile beach assault exercise near the disputed Spratly Islands.
US Marine 1st Lt Nick Eisenbeiser said on Monday that the October 17-28 manoeuvres would focus on honing the military allies` capability to ensure regional security and were not aiming at China or any country as an imaginary target.
Philippine military spokeswoman 1st Lt Cherryl Tindog says an October 27 drill involves a mock raid by US and Filipino marines to capture a hostile beach head west of Palawan province, which faces the South China Sea.
China, the Philippines and four other Asian countries claim the Spratly islands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!