US picks defected Syrian General as conduit of arms
Washington: A defected Syrian General is poised to play an important role in shaping the outcome of Syrian civil war, as the United States has said it will provide direct military assistance to the rebels.
General Salim Idriss, who heads the Supreme Military Council of the fragmented Free Syrian Army , has been anointed by the Obama administration as the sole conduit of weapons to the rebels, whether supplied by the United States or by allies such as Saudi Arabia and Qatar.
According to the Washington Post, the United States still has not committed to providing any weaponry, Idriss said in a phone interview from Ankara.
The 56-year-old urged the United States to move swiftly on the arms deliveries before opposition fighters suffer further setbacks on the battlefield.
U.S. officials have not detailed how far the Obama administration is prepared to go in aiding the rebels.
Idriss said he has also given US officials a list of items the rebels need, including ammunition and guns, as well as the anti-tank and anti-aircraft weapons that opposition fighters have long sought to defeat the Syrian government`s superior forces, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city