US picks defected Syrian General as conduit of arms
Washington: A defected Syrian General is poised to play an important role in shaping the outcome of Syrian civil war, as the United States has said it will provide direct military assistance to the rebels.
General Salim Idriss, who heads the Supreme Military Council of the fragmented Free Syrian Army , has been anointed by the Obama administration as the sole conduit of weapons to the rebels, whether supplied by the United States or by allies such as Saudi Arabia and Qatar.
According to the Washington Post, the United States still has not committed to providing any weaponry, Idriss said in a phone interview from Ankara.
The 56-year-old urged the United States to move swiftly on the arms deliveries before opposition fighters suffer further setbacks on the battlefield.
U.S. officials have not detailed how far the Obama administration is prepared to go in aiding the rebels.
Idriss said he has also given US officials a list of items the rebels need, including ammunition and guns, as well as the anti-tank and anti-aircraft weapons that opposition fighters have long sought to defeat the Syrian government`s superior forces, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border