US plane diverted after passenger found smoking
Los Angeles: An American Airlines flight from New York to Los Angeles was diverted to Albuquerque, after a passenger was found smoking in a lavatory, airport authorities said.
Passengers on board Flight 117 said they could smell smoke in the cabin after the man left the lavatory on Wednesday night.
Pilots declared an emergency and landed in Albuquerque in New Mexico state, where the man was taken off the plane for questioning. The other passengers were evacuated while officials from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and bomb-sniffing dogs searched the cabin, Xinhua reported.
The unidentified man was not arrested, but has been detained for questioning, FBI special agent Darrin Jones said.
There were a total of 169 people on the plane including crew. After re-boarding, the plane landed in Los Angeles after a six-hour delay.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi