US plane diverted after passenger found smoking
Los Angeles: An American Airlines flight from New York to Los Angeles was diverted to Albuquerque, after a passenger was found smoking in a lavatory, airport authorities said.
Passengers on board Flight 117 said they could smell smoke in the cabin after the man left the lavatory on Wednesday night.
Pilots declared an emergency and landed in Albuquerque in New Mexico state, where the man was taken off the plane for questioning. The other passengers were evacuated while officials from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and bomb-sniffing dogs searched the cabin, Xinhua reported.
The unidentified man was not arrested, but has been detained for questioning, FBI special agent Darrin Jones said.
There were a total of 169 people on the plane including crew. After re-boarding, the plane landed in Los Angeles after a six-hour delay.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand