US plane diverted after passenger found smoking
Los Angeles: An American Airlines flight from New York to Los Angeles was diverted to Albuquerque, after a passenger was found smoking in a lavatory, airport authorities said.
Passengers on board Flight 117 said they could smell smoke in the cabin after the man left the lavatory on Wednesday night.
Pilots declared an emergency and landed in Albuquerque in New Mexico state, where the man was taken off the plane for questioning. The other passengers were evacuated while officials from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and bomb-sniffing dogs searched the cabin, Xinhua reported.
The unidentified man was not arrested, but has been detained for questioning, FBI special agent Darrin Jones said.
There were a total of 169 people on the plane including crew. After re-boarding, the plane landed in Los Angeles after a six-hour delay.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16