US plane makes emergency landing on Colombian island
Bogota: An airplane belonging to the US carrier American Airlines was forced to make an emergency landing on Thursday at the airport of Colombia`s San Andres Island after reporting smoke in the cockpit.
All 172 passengers aboard the Boeing 757 were safe and in good condition, reported Xinhua citing the American Airlines in a statement issued in Colombia.
The plane was flying from San Jose, Costa Rica to Miami, Florida. "The plane was rerouted to San Andres, Colombia, due to a mechanical problem," the company said.
"The Boeing 757 airplane with 172 passengers and six crew members landed without incident at San Andres at 9.45 am local time (1445 GMT), " it said.
Frank Gonzalez, director of the San Andres Civil Defence Office, said the passengers encountered no problems during the landing, despite the rain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Una incident: Dalit writer Amrutlal Makwana returns award
- Wonder marathon boy Budhia Singh returns to Odisha, says he was on vacation
- Turkey discharges generals, shuts media outlets after coup
- Fed leaves rates unchanged but says US economy improving
- French church attackers pledged allegiance to ISIS in video