US plans probe of Ferguson police department
Washington: The US Justice Department is planning a thorough probe of the police department in Ferguson, the small black-dominated Missouri town where a white policeman shot dead an unarmed black teenager and caused riots that shook the nation.
The small town of 22,000, nearly 70 percent of them black, but with all but three of its 53 strong police force white, erupted into violent protests and looting with some Indian-American run stores among those targeted after the shooting of teenager Michael Brown.
The civil rights division of the Justice Department is preparing to launch a new investigation into police in the St. Louis suburb, CNN reported on Wednesday citing a Missouri official and a federal official. The review will examine previous incidents and complaints involving police, as well as its training, to examine how the department operates, according to the Missouri official.
It will look at whether the practises of Ferguson police violate federal law or the US Constitution, the channel said.
Justice Department representatives met with Ferguson officials in Missouri and informed them of the intent to launch the preliminary probe, a Missouri official told CNN.
It is distinct from the Justice Department`s previously announced civil rights probe that is specific to the August 9 shooting of Brown by Ferguson police Officer Darren Wilson.
Proving a civil rights violation would require showing that Wilson was actively hostile to Brown because of his race, CNN said.
The shooting and the fact authorities didn`t immediately, and still haven`t, charged Wilson spurred emotional and, at times, violent protests on the streets of Ferguson, it said
Brown`s shooting also stirred up locals` gripes about Ferguson police over the years, CNN said.
Some of them claimed members of the predominantly white police force would routinely and inordinately single out blacks, it said.
The channel cited many African-Americans as saying that they often found themselves subject to racial profiling-such as being pulled over for no obvious reason besides, they presumed, "DWB," or driving while black.
Ferguson will be the latest of many local police and sheriff departments nationwide to be subject to such a federal investigation launched "when there are persistent allegations of misconduct", CNN said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow