US police arrest Florida teen in school bomb plot
Miami: Police in the US state of Florida said on Wednesday they had arrested a 17-year-old for plotting a bombing attack on his former high school to kill some 30 students and rival the 1999 Columbine massacre.
"We were probably able to thwart a potentially catastrophic event the likes of which the city of Tampa has not seen and hopefully never will," local police chief Jane Castor told reporters.
Jared Cano, 17, who had been expelled over a year ago for an off-campus incident, had planned to set off several homemade pipe bombs on the first day of school next week and target two administrators, authorities said.
Police, acting on a tip-off, searched Cano`s home on Tuesday, where they found a detailed "manifesto" with a minute-by-minute account of the plot, including layout drawings of where he would plant the bombs.
The materials also "mentioned his desire to cause more casualties than were suffered at Columbine”, Castor said, referring to the school attack in which two well-armed teenagers killed more than a dozen people.
Police found several bomb components including fuel, shrapnel, plastic tubing, fuses and timing devices in his room, she added.
They also uncovered a marijuana-growing operation, with lights, plants, a scale and a blue glass pipe, the St Petersburg Times reported.
There were no guns in the house, but Cano had previously been arrested on charges of stealing a firearm and possession of marijuana, said Police Major John Newman, who added that authorities were "very, very familiar with him”.
Administrators at Tampa`s Freedom High School said Cano had been expelled a year and a half ago and that his presence at the school would have attracted attention, making it unlikely the plot would succeed.
"I`m not sure his plot was realistic to carry out," principal Chris Farkas said at a news conference held at the school.
Castor declined to comment on Cano`s psychological state, saying "we`re not in the business of diagnosing the mental health of individuals”.
The arrest was the latest to evoke the April 20, 1999 attack on Columbine High School in Colorado, in which two heavily-armed students killed 13 people and wounded 23 others before turning their guns on themselves.
At his first court appearance, when the judge asked Cano if he would like to say anything, he responded: "The plan wasn`t..." before his public defender cut him off, according to the St Petersburg Times.
"Don`t say anything," it quoted the attorney as saying.
"I can talk... I`m allowed to say what I want," Cano replied.
The public defender then whispered in the teen`s ear, before saying: "He has no comment”.
Cano was due back in court on September 05.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now