US police foil new `Joker` attack
Washington: A week after Colorado`s movie theatre shooting, Maryland police have arrested a suspect who threatened to carry out a shooting at his workplace, investigators said on Friday.
The suspect also referred to himself as “a joker”, just like James Holmes, who allegedly referred himself as `The Joker` when police arrested him after the mass killing of people at a midnight screening of "The Dark Knight Rises" last Friday.
An official with knowledge of the investigation told a news agency that Neil Prescott of Crofton, Maryland, phoned in the threat to software and mailroom supplier Pitney Bowes near Washington, DC. Investigators say a search of Prescott’s home turned up more than 20 guns, including assault rifles and handguns, and more than 400 rounds of ammunition.
The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation is unfolding.
Though the suspect referred to himself as “a joker” when he called in the threat, the official said there is no other known connection to a deadly shooting last week at a Colorado movie theatre during the latest Batman movie.
Investigators believe Prescott, who was arrested on Thursday night, had lost his job with the company and was disgruntled. They say he called in the threat earlier this week.
Pitney Bowes spokeswoman Carol Wallace said in an e-mailed statement that Prescott was an employee of a subcontractor to the company and had not been on any Pitney Bowes property in more than four months.
Prescott was being held on Friday at Anne Arundel Medical Centre in Annapolis, where he was undergoing a psychological evaluation. Crofton is located between DC and Annapolis, Maryland.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth