US police shoot 13-year-old boy with fake gun
Zee Media Bureau/Himanshu Kapoor
Washington: A 13-year-old boy who was carrying a pellet gun was shot dead by the Californian police on Tuesday. A sheriff’s deputy mistakenly took the gun carried by the teen as an assault rifle and shot him.
Santa Rosa County Sheriff`s office said that the boy was carrying an AK-47 replica and a fake hand gun. The teen was indentified as Andy Lopez Cruz by the school officials.
In a statement released by the Santa Rosa County Sheriff`s office, the boy was spotted holding what appeared to be a assault rifle by two Sonoma County deputies. It said that when asked to drop the weapon the teen slowly turned towards them and when the deputy saw the teen turning the barrel towards them they shot him.
After the shooting the teen was handcuffed and other police officers called the ambulance.
On securing the scene the deputies learned that the rifle was a replica of an assault weapon. The shooting has shocked the local community in the city of Santa Rosa.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred