US prepares mega cities against 26/11-type attacks
Washington: Learning a lesson from the 2008
Mumbai attacks, several American security and intelligence agencies have conducted a series of workshops in six major US cities to tackle such terror strikes, US Homeland Security
Department has said.
The information on preparations made to prevent
Mumbai-type terrorist attacks has been provided by the
Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in its annual budgetary
proposals to the Congress.
"To address the current threat environment, FEMA
partnered with the DHS Office of Intelligence and Analysis,
the National Counter-terrorism Center, and the Department of
Justice/ Federal Bureau of Investigation to conduct in six
major cities across the country a series of workshops focused
on response to a Mumbai-style terror attack," it said.
While names of the cities have not been released, reports
in the past have indicated them to include New York, Los
Angeles, Chicago and Washington.
DHS said that the New York Police Department (NYPD) had
sent its team on the ground even as the Pakistan-based
terrorists were carrying out mayhem in Mumbai in November
It said that it had signed an MoU with India last year to
ensure the timely exchange of critical cyber security
information and expertise between the two governments through
the Indian Computer Emergency Response Team and DHS` United
States Computer Emergency Readiness Team (US-CERT).
Through this arrangement, the governments and the cyber
security community of the countries will have the ability to
coordinate with their counterparts on a broad range of
technical and operational cyber issues, it said in the
Referring to last year`s India visit of the Secretary of
Homeland Security Janet Napolitano, the department said the US
launched the Homeland Security Dialogue with India - the
first comprehensive bilateral dialogue on homeland security
issues between the two countries.
Focus was on securing the global supply chain,
trafficking of illicit goods and materials, and protection of
critical cyber infrastructure, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145