US prepares new sanctions against Iran: Report
Washington: The White House is crafting new financial sanctions targeting the Iranian entities and individuals most directly involved in the crackdown on dissidents, The Wall Street Journal reported on Saturday.
Citing unnamed US officials, the newspaper said US Treasury Department strategists had already been focusing on Iran`s Revolutionary Guard Corps, which has emerged as the economic and military power behind Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.
But in recent weeks, senior dissident figures from Iran -- who have been speaking at major Washington think tanks -- have made up a list of Revolutionary Guards-related companies they suggest targeting, the report said.
Names on the list include Iran`s largest telecommunications provider, Telecommunication Company of Iran, which is majority-owned by the Guards, and the Iranian Aluminum Company, according to the paper.
In a signal of the White House`s increased attention to Iran`s political upheaval, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton gathered over coffee at the State Department this week with four leading Iran scholars and mapped out the current dynamics, The Journal said.
One issue explored was how the United States should respond if Tehran suddenly expressed a desire to reach a compromise on the nuclear issue, the report said.
Hillary asked whether the United States could reach a pact without crippling the prospects for the opposition, according to the paper.
US allies are mixed in their response to the new focus, The Journal said. One senior Arab official said he told State Department officials this week they were deluded if they though Iran was close to experiencing a revolution reminiscent of the Shah`s overthrow.
Israel believes only widespread sanctions will effectively upend Tehran`s current political leadership, the paper noted.
"Many Israeli experts have concluded that expansive sanctions will widen the schisms between the Iranian government and its people," said The Journal quotes Israeli Ambassador Michael Oren as saying.
Senior US officials stressed this week that President Barack Obama isn`t moving toward seeking a regime change as its policy for Iran, the report said.
Rather, Washington remains committed to a dual-track approach of pursuing dialogue aimed at ending Iran`s nuclear program while applying increasing financial pressure if the talks fail, The Journal noted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened