US President praying for Holbrooke`s recovery
Washington: President Barack Obama calls critically ill diplomat Richard Holbrooke "a towering figure in American foreign policy" and says he is praying for his recovery.
Holbrooke, the President`s special envoy for Afghanistan and Pakistan, is at a Washington hospital after undergoing surgery on Saturday on a torn aorta.
Obama in a statement on Saturday night said he had spoken with Holbrooke`s wife and told her that he and First Lady Michelle Obama are praying for him. Obama called Holbrooke a critical member of the administration`s Afghanistan and Pakistan team, and "a tireless public servant”.
Holbrooke`s family has been with the diplomat. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton also has visited at the George Washington University Hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport
- Colombia peace deal to be signed late September