US President praying for Holbrooke`s recovery
Washington: President Barack Obama calls critically ill diplomat Richard Holbrooke "a towering figure in American foreign policy" and says he is praying for his recovery.
Holbrooke, the President`s special envoy for Afghanistan and Pakistan, is at a Washington hospital after undergoing surgery on Saturday on a torn aorta.
Obama in a statement on Saturday night said he had spoken with Holbrooke`s wife and told her that he and First Lady Michelle Obama are praying for him. Obama called Holbrooke a critical member of the administration`s Afghanistan and Pakistan team, and "a tireless public servant”.
Holbrooke`s family has been with the diplomat. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton also has visited at the George Washington University Hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter