US priest denied bail during appeal in abuse case
Philadelphia: A judge on Tuesday refused to let a Roman Catholic monsignor be released on bail in the US while he appeals his conviction for hiding abuse complaints against a priest.
Monsignor William Lynn is the first US supervisor convicted of endangering children by helping the church move accused priests from ministry to ministry while serving as secretary for clergy at the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Philadelphia from 1992 to 2004.
During an extraordinary 10-year criminal investigation, prosecutors concluded that at least 63 priests accused of abuse had worked in Philadelphia, often for decades.
The judge cited what she called the serious nature of conduct that led to Lynn`s conviction in June. Lynn is serving three to six years in prison.
Lawyers for the 61-year-old Lynn said they will appeal. They have long argued that Lynn, honoring his vow of obedience, carried out the policies of the late Cardinal Anthony Bevilacqua.
Lynn admits he let an abuse complaint against former priest Edward Avery go without response in 1992. Avery is in prison for sexually assaulting an altar boy in 1999.
The same accuser alleges he also was molested by the Rev. Charles Engelhardt and Catholic school teacher Bernard Shero. Engelhardt and Shero are set to go on trial September 4.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical