US probing near collision of three aircraft
Washington: 192 passengers and crew on board three US passenger jets had a narrow escape when their aircraft came within seconds of a midair collision at Reagan National Airport here on Tuesday, a media report said on Thursday.
The three planes, all operated by US Airways, averted a collision after confused air traffic controllers launched two outbound flights directly at another plane coming in to land, the Washington Post reported.
The problem occurred as a number of inbound planes were queued up to turn above Mount Vernon, fly north over the Potomac River and land on the airport`s main runway.
But an approaching storm caused a significant wind shift, and the air traffic control centre in Warrenton wanted to reverse the flow of planes into the airport, turning them north of Rosslyn and routing them south along the river to land from the opposite direction.
The Warrenton controllers communicated the plan to the controller tower at Reagan National Airport.
"The tower agreed, but they didn`t pass it on to all the people they needed to pass it on to," the Post quoted a federal official familiar with the incident as saying.
As a result, an incoming flight that had been cleared to land was flying head-on at two planes that had just taken off. The inbound plane and the first of the outbound planes were closing the 1.4 miles between them at a combined speed of 436 mph, a rate that meant they were about 12 seconds from impact when the tower controller recognised her mistake, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price