`US ready to engage directly with Iran`
Washington: Congratulating the people of Iran for participating in the just concluded elections, the White House today said that it is ready to engage with the Iranian government directly in order to reach a diplomatic solution to Tehran`s controversial nuclear weapons programme.
"It is our hope that the Iranian government will heed the will of the Iranian people and make responsible choices that create a better future for all Iranians," White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said after moderate Hassan Rouhani was declared the winner of Iran`s presidential election.
"The United States remains ready to engage the Iranian government directly in order to reach a diplomatic solution that will fully address the international community`s concerns about Iran`s nuclear programme," Carney said in a statement.
The United States, he said, respects the vote of the Iranian people and congratulates them for their participation in the political process, and their courage in making their voices heard.
"Yesterday`s election took place against the backdrop of a lack of transparency, censorship of the media, Internet, and text messages, and an intimidating security environment that limited freedom of expression and assembly," he said.
"However, despite these government obstacles and limitations, the Iranian people were determined to act to shape their future," Carney said.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today