US ready with counter provocation plan against North Korea
Washington: Amid escalating tension in the Korean peninsula, the US on Wednesday said it has devised a counter-provocation plan along with its allies to respond to North Korea`s bellicose rhetoric and provocative actions.
"We have plans in place with our South Korean allies, and naturally we hope never have to put any of these plans into place," Pentagon Press Secretary George Little said, adding that the plan is led by South Korea`s joint chiefs of staff.
North Korea has declared a "state of war" with South and warned that US bases in Hawaii and Guam would be targeted in what could turn into "an all-out war, a nuclear war".
"The new counter-provocation plan formalizes bilateral consultations to coordinate efforts between the United States and the Republic of Korea to respond to DPRK (Democratic People`s Republic of Korea) provocations," Little said.
"This plan improves our combined readiness posture and allows immediate and decisive response to any North Korean provocation," he said without disclosing the details.
Little said the US has options at its disposal to respond effectively to any North Korean provocation. "The goal is to protect peace and stability on the peninsula."
Responding to questions, he clarified that the sea-based X-band radar is not at sea in response to North provocations.
"The SBX is underway," Little said. "They`re undergoing semiannual system checks. Decisions about further deployments have not been made to this point."
The United States, he said, has a range of assets, a constellation of capabilities in the Asia Pacific region that can help defend against missile threats from North Korea.
"Those assets also help protect our own interests, our own troops in the region, and other allies, to include Japan. So while I wouldn`t get into the specifics of these particular missions, we have a full range of land- and sea-based capabilities to help respond to missile threats," he said.
However, based on North Korean preparedness, Little said there is no indication of an immediate threat from Pyongyang.
"We don`t have any indication that that`s imminent. But make no mistake about it: We have the assets available inside South Korea and elsewhere to help defend against the kinds of situations that you just described. I`m not going to get into the specifics of where our assets are in South Korea or elsewhere, but we stand ready to defend South Korea from external threats wherever they may originate," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced