US recognises Somali government
Washington: The US has officially recognised the Somali government in Mogadishu after more than two decades.
"There is still a long way to go and many challenges to confront, but we have seen a new foundation for that better future being laid," US State Secretary Hillary Clinton said Thursday during a joint press conference with Somali President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud, who is in Washington on a visit.
"And today, we are taking an important step toward that future. I am delighted to announce that for the first time since 1991, the United States is recognising the Government of Somalia," Hillary said.
Mohamud took office in 2012.
Washington had not recognised Somalia`s government since dictator Mohamed Siad Barre was overthrown in 1991.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH