US reiterates support for Yemen forces after Qaeda raid

Last Updated: Friday, December 25, 2009 - 12:40

Aboard Air Force One: The White House has
reiterated its support for Yemeni authorities after Yemeni
aircraft killed 34 suspected Al-Qaeda members.

The dawn raid in a remote mountainous region, the second
such strike in eight days, killed senior leaders, security
sources said yesterday.
However the White House declined to comment on reports
that US-Yemeni imam Anwar al-Aulaqi, who had ties to the
alleged Fort Hood shooter who killed 13 people at a Texas
military base last month, was among the dead.

"I`m not going to comment on those specific reports,"
said deputy spokesman Bill Burton.

"As we`ve said previously, the president supports the
government of Yemen in their efforts to take out terrorist
elements in their country. We continue to support those
efforts."

Aulaqi told a private TV channel this week that Major Nidal Hasan,
whose shooting rampage at Fort Hood killed 12 soldiers and one
civilian, wounding 42 others, had asked him about whether it
was legitimate under Islamic law to kill US soldiers.
Yesterday`s strike brings the Yemeni government`s tally
of Al-Qaeda suspects killed in the past eight days to 68.

The New York Times has reported that US President Barack
Obama approved firepower, intelligence and other support for
Yemen`s efforts against Al-Qaeda.

PTI



First Published: Friday, December 25, 2009 - 12:40

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus