US rejects Iran `charm offensive` in nuke dispute
Vienna: The US accused Iran on Wednesday of
"flouting" its international obligations and dismissed
Tehran`s recent offer to meet with world powers about its
disputed nuclear program as a "charm offensive."
The statement by Glyn Davies, chief US delegate to the
International Atomic Energy Agency, comes ahead of next week`s
UN General Assembly meeting. Davies said the Islamic
republic`s latest offer for talks fails to provide any fresh
indications of an Iranian commitment to address international
concerns that it could be working on nuclear warhead
"Stonewalling the IAEA, flouting UN Security Council
obligations and mounting this most recent charm offensive do
not reflect a good-faith effort to resolve those concerns,"
Davies told reporters.
Iran already is under four sets of Security Council
sanctions for refusing to freeze uranium enrichment, as the US
and its Western allies have been demanding for years.
Tehran says it needs the programme to make reactor fuel,
but the council fears it could be re-engineered to produce
fissile warhead material despite Iranian insistence that its
program is purely for peaceful purposes.
In its latest Iran report earlier this month, the IAEA for
the first time said it is "increasingly concerned" about
credible "extensive and comprehensive" intelligence suggesting
that Iran continues its secret weapons work. At the opening of
a meeting of the IAEA`s 35 board members earlier this week,
the agency`s chief Yukiya Amano indicated the body had
information backing this belief.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!