US rejects prisoner swap with Iran for detained hikers
Washington: The US on Wednesday rejected Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad`s offer of releasing three American hikers held in Iran in exchange for Iranian citizens held in US prisons.
"We`re not interested in a swap per se. We are interested in resolving the cases of our citizens who we think, you know, should be released immediately," State Department spokesman PJ Crowley told reporters in Washington.
Ahmadinejad said on Tuesday that negotiations were held to exchange the three hikers for Iranians jailed in the US without clear charges. Crowley denied such discussions had taken place, and said any Iranians being held in the US were charged with crimes.
"There`s not really an equivalence, if you will, between ... an Iranian citizen who has been indicted and/or convicted of arms trafficking in violation of, you know, international law, and three hikers who wandered across an unmarked border," Crowley said.
The three US hikers were detained by Iran in July when they strayed across the border from Iraq`s Kurdish region. They have been held in Tehran`s notorious Evin prison.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant