US rejects prisoner swap with Iran for detained hikers
Washington: The US on Wednesday rejected Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad`s offer of releasing three American hikers held in Iran in exchange for Iranian citizens held in US prisons.
"We`re not interested in a swap per se. We are interested in resolving the cases of our citizens who we think, you know, should be released immediately," State Department spokesman PJ Crowley told reporters in Washington.
Ahmadinejad said on Tuesday that negotiations were held to exchange the three hikers for Iranians jailed in the US without clear charges. Crowley denied such discussions had taken place, and said any Iranians being held in the US were charged with crimes.
"There`s not really an equivalence, if you will, between ... an Iranian citizen who has been indicted and/or convicted of arms trafficking in violation of, you know, international law, and three hikers who wandered across an unmarked border," Crowley said.
The three US hikers were detained by Iran in July when they strayed across the border from Iraq`s Kurdish region. They have been held in Tehran`s notorious Evin prison.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why