US religious envoys urge Iran to free 2 Americans
Tehran: A group of US Christian and Muslim envoys is returning from Tehran after holding talks with Iran`s president over the possible release of two Americans jailed as spies.
A statement by the interfaith delegation Monday says they urged Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and other officials to release Shane Bauer and Josh Fattal on humanitarian grounds.
Iran`s courts have considered a $1 million bail-for-freedom deal that also could set aside their eight-year prison sentences. But the hard-line judiciary has not given any timetable for a possible release.
The two men were detained in July 2009 along the Iran-Iraq border, where they say they were hiking. A third American in the group, Sarah Shourd, was freed last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her