US remembers victims of school massacre, debate over guns continue
Newtown: The nation observed a moment of silence on Friday to remember the victims of the deadly shooting last week at Sandy Hook Elementary School that killed 26 people including 20 children. The silence was observed at 9:30 am, the time at which gunman Adam Lanza shot the victims.
The bells at Edmond Town Hall rang 26 times to remember each victim. However, The observance here did not include Nancy Lanza, the mother of gunman Adam Lanza, who was also shot in the head by her son.
President Obama observed a private moment of silence in White House.
Similar commemorations took place throughout the country as Connecticut Governor Dan Malloy called on other states to remember the victims.
Meanwhile, The debate oven guns continue with the National Rifle Association (NRA) expressed its shock at the incident, but strongly opposed any move to ban guns for Americans.
"The only way to stop a monster from killing our kids is to be personally involved and invested in a plan of absolute protection. The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun," said Wayne LaPierre; the CEO and executive vice president of the National Rifle Association the apex body of pro-gun group in the United States.
He said thousands of retired law enforcement officials can be roped in for protection of children in schools. "I call on Congress today to act immediately to appropriate whatever is necessary to put armed police officers in every single school in this nation, and to do it now, to make sure that blanket safety is in place when our kids return to school in January," he said.
The NRA statement immediately drew sharp criticism. "It is beyond belief that following the Newtown tragedy, the National Rifle Association`s leaders want to fill our communities with guns and arm more Americans," said Senator Frank R Lautenberg expressing his utter disbelief at LaPierre`s comments in response to the Connecticut tragedy.
(With Agency Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?