US removes penalties against Myanmar`s President
Washington: The US Treasury has removed Myanmar`s President, Thein Sein, from a list of individuals who are barred from doing business or owning property in America.
The announcement comes as Myanmar`s opposition leader, Aung San Suu Kyi, is on a high-profile trip to the US that is expected to include a private meeting today with President Barack Obama.
The Obama administration wants to balance its praise for Suu Kyi with credit for Thein Sein, who`s been key to Myanmar`s democratic reforms.
The speaker of Myanmar`s lower house of parliament, Thura Shwe Mann, also was removed from the list. He was the third-ranking member in Myanmar`s former ruling junta. Thein Sein was prime minister.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Trinamool Congress activist was part of Pak ISI spy ring?
- WATCH: Pakistan vs England, 3rd T20: Complete highlights
- SP leader Azam Khan stirs fresh controversy, says RSS leaders are homosexuals
- Priyanka Chopra’s sex scene from ‘Quantico’ goes viral – Watch video