US removes sanctions from two Myanmar banks
Washington: The US Wednesday lifted sanctions on two Myanmarese banks which eight years ago were identified as financial institutions of primary money laundering concern.
The lifting of sanctions from the two banks Myanmar Mayflower Bank and Asia Wealth Bank came hours ahead of the scheduled meeting between Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Myanmar President Thein Sein in New York on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly session.
"When the final rule was issued, Myanmar Mayflower Bank and Asia Wealth Bank had been identified as financial institutions of primary money laundering concern, and individuals owning and controlling both banks were determined to be linked with illicit financial activities," the Department of Treasury said.
"Subsequent to FinCEN`s identification of these two banks as financial institutions of primary money laundering concern, the Government of Burma revoked the licenses of both banks. These financial institutions no longer exist and thus pose no further threat to financial systems," the Treasury said.
FinCEN is one of the US Department of Treasury`s lead agencies in the fight against money laundering.
"The Treasury Department looks forward to collaborating with the Government of Burma on mutual issues of concern to combat international money laundering and the financing of terrorism," the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!