US rules out military action against Venezuela
Washington: The United States on Monday ruled
out military action against Venezuela after Venezuelan
President Hugo Chavez threatened to cut off oil supplies to
the US if it backed a Colombian attack.
"As we have stated in the past, the United States has no
intention of engaging in military action against Venezuela,"
Virginia Staab, a State Department spokeswoman, said to a news agency.
"The United States has long enjoyed a mutually beneficial
energy relationship with Venezuela, and we wish to see that
relationship continue," she said.
Importing 1.4 million barrels of oil a day, the United
States is the main oil consumer of Venezuela, a member of the
Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) and South
America`s largest oil producer and exporter.
Chavez, Venezuela`s anti-American leftist president, said
on Sunday he had intelligence that "the possibility of an
armed aggression against Venezuelan territory from Colombia"
was higher than it has been "in 100 years."
If Colombia were to launch an attack "promoted by the
Yankee empire, we would suspend oil deliveries to the United
States, even if everybody over here has to eat stones," he
Chavez broke off diplomatic relations with Bogota
Thursday in response to charges by Colombian President Alvaro
Uribe that 1,500 Colombian guerrillas had set up camp inside
Venezuela and were launching attacks from its territory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray