US rules out permanent military presence in Maldives
Washington: The US has ruled out a permanent military base in the Maldives, amid reports that new government in Male has decided not to sign a defence cooperation pact with Washington in this regard.
"The US has not and is not considering a permanent military presence in the Maldives. We continue to share a close bilateral defence relationship on areas of mutual interest," Pentagon spokesperson Lt Col Jeffery Pool told a news agency.
He was responding to questions about the decision of the new Maldivian President Abdulla Yameen not to sign the status of the forces agreement (SOFA) as proposed by the US.
"I would refer you to the Government of Maldives regarding their rationale for President Yameen`s decision about not pursuing a potential Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) with the United States," Pool said.
Early this week, Yameen told reporters in Sri Lanka that a SOFA would have given the United States a foothold in his archipelago located across the main east-west sea route.
"There have been discussions before...We are not going to pursue it," he said during his visit to Colombo.
Maldivian officials have said the proposed deal would have given the US military access to two atolls in the nation of 1,192 tiny coral islands scattered in the Indian Ocean.
The US military already had a considerable presence in Diego Garcia, a British territory, about 700 kilometres south of the Maldivian archipelago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam