US, Russia discuss possible talks on Ukraine
Washington,: The United States said on Tuesday it wants to see talks between Washington, Russia, Ukraine and the European Union to seek a way to calm the political crisis in Ukraine.
State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said US Secretary of State John Kerry had discussed holding such four-way talks in a call with his Russian opposite number Sergei Lavrov.
But she also echoed an earlier warning that Washington sees the hand of Moscow behind some of the unrest in eastern Ukraine, where pro-Kremlin separatists have seized government buildings.
"He conveyed to Foreign Minister Lavrov that the United States is watching events over the last 24 hours in Kharkiv, Donetsk, Lugansk and Mariupol with great concern and noted that these do not appear to be a spontaneous set of events," Psaki said.
"Rather, the secretary noted the Ukrainian government`s assertion that this appeared to be a carefully orchestrated campaign with Russian support.
"He made clear that any further Russian efforts to destabilize Ukraine will incur further costs for Russia and the ministers also discussed convening direct talks within the next 10 days between Ukraine, Russia, the United Stades and the EU to try to de-escalate the tensions.
"Discussions about the right timing and agenda for that meeting will of course continue."
Earlier, the White House had warned that Russia could face broader economic sanctions if it continues to interfere in eastern Ukraine, having already annexed the breakaway Crimean Peninsula.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference