US, Russia set for first talks since Syria deal
Bali: The US and Russia are set to hold their first high-level talks since sealing a deal to secure and destroy Syria`s chemical weapons and the onset of an apparent warming between Iran and the West.
US Secretary of State John Kerry and Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov are to meet tomorrow to discuss both issues on the sidelines of an economic summit in Indonesia.
They will be comparing notes on progress made since they negotiated the Syria agreement last month.
International disarmament inspectors began work today to destroy Syria`s estimated 1,000-ton stockpile of chemical weapons. They`re working against a Nov 1 deadline set by the UN last month to destroy the Assad government`s capability to produce the weapons.
Kerry and Lavrov will also be talking about Iran and its nuclear program. Officials from the five permanent members of the UN Security Council the US, China, the Russian Federation, France and the United Kingdom and Germany will meet with representatives from Iran in Geneva on Oct 15 in renewed talks on Iran`s nuclear program.
Tehran insists its nuclear program is peaceful and that it is enriching uranium to levels needed for medical isotopes and reactor fuel. But Western powers, including the US, fear Iran is trying to build a nuclear bomb and have imposed crippling economic sanctions to encourage Iran to curb its enrichment program.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth