US, Russia to jointly destroy Syria chemical weapons?
Zee Media Bureau/Supriya Jha
Moscow: Details on what`s inside Russia`s plan to dismantle Syria chemical stockpile emerged on Thursday when a Russian daily reported that the plan had four stages and a joint Russian-US role in wiping out the chemical weapons was not ruled out.
A Russian daily named Kommersant, which is known for high contacts in Russian Foreign Ministry, published the contents of the four-tiered plan that Moscow handed over to the US on Wednesday night.
According to the report, the first of the four stages demands Syria to become a member of the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW).
Next step should see Syria revealing the whereabouts of its chemical weapons arsenal and also the place where they are manufactured, Kommersant quoted an anonymous Russian official.
According to the third step, Syria must allow OPCW inspectors to examine the arms and the final step deals with how to destroy the deadly chemicals.
The plan that Russia has proposed in a bid to avert US strike against Syria, did not clarify who will be authorised to obliterate the chemicals but a joint US-Russian role was not ruled out.
The details emerge at a time when Russian and American top diplomats are due to discuss the issue in Geneva today.
Also the five permanent UNSC members are discussing the Syria disarmament resolution today.
Out of five members, US, UK and France are in favour of a binding resolution on Syria while Russia opposes any threat of military strike and imposing any ultimatum on its ally.
Meanwhile Russian leader Vladimir Putin took to New York Times, where he penned an op-ed to address American public and political leaders, making a strong case to avoid any US strike on Syria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH