US safer, more secure than four years ago: Panetta
Washington: The US is safer and more secure than it was four years ago, and has reached a turning point after more than a decade of war, the outgoing Defence Secretary Leon Panetta said Monday.
"Because of the outstanding dedication of our intelligence and military professionals, America is safer and more secure than it was four years ago, and we have reached a turning point after more than a decade of war," Panetta said in his remarks at the White House.
US President Barack Obama today nominated Chuck Hagel, the former Republican Senator from Nebraska, as his next Defence Secretary to replace Panetta and John Brennan as his next CIA Director.
"And on that, as we`ve reached that turning point, we`ve developed a new defence strategy for the 21st century. We have, with John`s leadership, decimated al Qaeda`s leadership and weakened their effort to attack this country," Panetta said in his statement.
"We have brought wars in Iraq and we will bring the war in Afghanistan to an honorable conclusion. We`ve opened up opportunities for all Americans to serve in our military. And we continue to strongly support our forces, their families, and our wounded warriors. These are some of the achievements that I am proud of," he said.
Panetta said after being in public life for five decades he would return to private life and to his home in California.
"As for me, after close to 50 years of serving the American people --began in 1964, when I served as a first lieutenant in the United States Army, and then in both the legislative and executive branch positions in Washington -- the time has come for me to return to my wife, Sylvia, our three sons, their families, our six grandchildren, and my walnut farm dealing with a different set of nuts," he said amidst laughter.
"I will leave Washington with a very deep sense of pride in what we have accomplished during these last four years being on the president`s national security team," Panetta said.
Commending Obama on his decision to nominate Hagel as the next Secretary of Defence, he said he has known him for a long period of time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?