US sanctions complicate nuclear issue: Iran
Tehran: Iran has criticised the latest US sanctions which came into effect Monday, and said that imposing fresh sanctions only complicates its nuclear issue.
"There is no doubt that the imposition of new sanctions is a failed policy, and we are surprised to see that the US government and its allies repeat the wrong and failed policy," Xinhua reported, citing an Iranian foreign ministry spokesperson.
The new US sanctions, aimed to put further pressure on Iran over its controversial nuclear programme, ban gold sales to and trades in gold with the Islamic republic, and put further embargo on its shipping and automobile sectors.
To circumvent Western financial sanctions which restrict money return in exchange for energy exports, Iran is believed to have received gold from its natural gas and oil customers.
"The intensification of sanctions is not a solution to Iran`s nuclear issue and will not help settle it," spokesperson Abbas Araqchi said, adding that "lifting sanctions can help resolve the issue and serve as a confidence-building measure".
Iran`s energy and financial sectors are under intensive sanction pressures by the US and its allies who suspect Iran`s nuclear programme might be aimed at weapon-grade activities. Iran, though, insists that it is for civilian use.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- 'Mann Ki Baat': PM Narendra Modi to address nation today, may talk to Army jawans
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015