US sanctions leader of Basque separatists ETA
Madrid: The US State Department said on Thursday it had designated Basque Fatherland and Liberty (ETA) military leader Jurdan Martitegui Lizaso as a terrorist.
As a result, "all property subject to US jurisdiction in which (Martitegui) has any interest is blocked and US persons are prohibited from engaging in any transactions with him," the State Department said.
"This action will help stem the flow of financial and other assistance to this ETA leader," he said.
Martitegui engaged in terrorist activities with the ETA "such as murder, bombing, recruiting, training, and providing logistical support for a terrorist organisation”, actions which "constitute a threat to US interests”, the statement read.
Martitegui was a member of ETA`s Vizcaya Command, a group "responsible for numerous terrorist acts including the 2006 bombing of Madrid`s Barajas international airport parking garage”.
Washington designated ETA a terrorist organisation in 1997.
Weakened after years of arrests of its senior leaders, ETA has not committed an attack on Spanish territory since August 2009.
Martitegui has been jailed in France since 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble