US sanctions leader of Basque separatists ETA
Madrid: The US State Department said on Thursday it had designated Basque Fatherland and Liberty (ETA) military leader Jurdan Martitegui Lizaso as a terrorist.
As a result, "all property subject to US jurisdiction in which (Martitegui) has any interest is blocked and US persons are prohibited from engaging in any transactions with him," the State Department said.
"This action will help stem the flow of financial and other assistance to this ETA leader," he said.
Martitegui engaged in terrorist activities with the ETA "such as murder, bombing, recruiting, training, and providing logistical support for a terrorist organisation”, actions which "constitute a threat to US interests”, the statement read.
Martitegui was a member of ETA`s Vizcaya Command, a group "responsible for numerous terrorist acts including the 2006 bombing of Madrid`s Barajas international airport parking garage”.
Washington designated ETA a terrorist organisation in 1997.
Weakened after years of arrests of its senior leaders, ETA has not committed an attack on Spanish territory since August 2009.
Martitegui has been jailed in France since 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands