US sanctions leader of Basque separatists ETA
Madrid: The US State Department said on Thursday it had designated Basque Fatherland and Liberty (ETA) military leader Jurdan Martitegui Lizaso as a terrorist.
As a result, "all property subject to US jurisdiction in which (Martitegui) has any interest is blocked and US persons are prohibited from engaging in any transactions with him," the State Department said.
"This action will help stem the flow of financial and other assistance to this ETA leader," he said.
Martitegui engaged in terrorist activities with the ETA "such as murder, bombing, recruiting, training, and providing logistical support for a terrorist organisation”, actions which "constitute a threat to US interests”, the statement read.
Martitegui was a member of ETA`s Vizcaya Command, a group "responsible for numerous terrorist acts including the 2006 bombing of Madrid`s Barajas international airport parking garage”.
Washington designated ETA a terrorist organisation in 1997.
Weakened after years of arrests of its senior leaders, ETA has not committed an attack on Spanish territory since August 2009.
Martitegui has been jailed in France since 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Cow creates chaos near Parliament area!
- Sinners offering money to temples for solace: Chandrababu Naidu
- SC allows Italian marine Salvatore Girone to return home
- Bihar: Former Bihar CM Jitan Manjhi's convoy attacked in Gaya
- Punjab and Haryana HC stays reservation for Jats, 5 other communities
- India, China should resolve issues through political acumen: Pranab Mukherjee
- Ex-Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi convoy attacked, police van set on fire near Gaya
- IPL 2016: David Warner praises SRH bowlers, fielders for win over KKR in IPL Eliminator
- Not just LGBT, Sonam Kapoor is strong supporter of basic human rights
- After Arvind Kejriwal, Sonia Gandhi meets 13-year-old Delhi rape victim at AIIMS