US sanctions on four Syrian ministers, rebel leader
Washington: The Obama administration has added four Syrian government ministers to a US terror blacklist as well as the leader of an al Qaeda-linked organisation fighting President Bashar Assad`s regime.
Thursday`s actions highlight America`s twin goals in Syria: It wants the Assad regime to end but doesn`t want extremists taking power.
The Treasury Department targeted the defence, health, industry and justice ministers in Assad`s government, plus a Syrian TV station and its national airline. Assets they have in the US are blocked; Americans are prohibited from doing business with them.
Meanwhile, the State Department designated Jabhat al-Nusra leader Muhammad al-Jawlani as a "global terrorist," subjecting him to similar sanctions.
It said al-Jawlani aims to create an Islamist state in Syria, and it blamed him for terrorist attacks on civilians.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest