US sanctions surveillance drones over Syria as ISIS spreads its tentacles
Zee Media Bureau/Supriya Jha
Washington: US President Barack Obama has authorised reconnaissance flights over Syria to collect information on IS targets there, as the Islamic State, earlier known as ISIS, continue their onslaught in Syria, occupying strategic points and massacring soldier, said reports Tuesday. Having wreaked havoc in Iraq, where the US started targeted air strikes on them, the Islamic State have begun spreading their murderous tentacles deeper into Syria. A major blow to Assad regime came on Sunday when the ISIS captured a key military base, al-Tabqa air base and beheaded a number of the soldiers stationed there. Obama has decided to dispatch surveillance drones into Syrian airspace to collect intelligence on Islamic State targets, in what a Wall Street Journal reports as “laying groundwork for military strike”. However, there has been no decision made on military strikes on IS targets in Syria. "The Pentagon is preparing to conduct reconnaissance flights over Syria," WSJ quoted a senior US official as saying. "There is no decision yet to do strikes, but in order to help make that decision, you want to get as much situational awareness as possible," he added. Obama`s authorisation of sending drones comes after Assad regime said in order to fight the terrorists, it was ready to get support from the US and others working under the UN, reported the CNN. The remarkable comments were made by Syrian Foreign Minister Walid Moallem, who dropped a warning too, saying no unilateral strikes were allowed and that "any effort to fight terrorism should be done in coordination with Syrian government", added the report. After Iraq, Syria is now facing the brunt of the ISIS terror as they continue advancing in northeastern region. Having launched a lightning offensive in Iraq in June, the Islamic State managed to capture a huge swathe of territory and established a Caliphate across occupied areas of Iraq and Syria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...