US sanctions will meet Iran central bank strength
Tehran: Iran`s central bank will confront new
US sanctions with "strength," President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
said on Sunday, a day after US leader Barack Obama signed into law
extra measures against the institution.
"The central bank is the backbone of dealing with the
enemies` pressure and it must with strength and
self-confidence have the solidity to eliminate all of the
enemies` plots," he told an annual assembly of the bank`s
senior officials, according to a statement on the presidency
"We should protect the people and the nation against the
enemies` plots so people are not pressured," he was quoted as
Ahmadinejad added that "currently there is no particular
problem in the economic sector," discounting the effects of
The new US sanctions seek to further squeeze Iran`s
crucial oil revenues, most of which are processed by the
Under the measures, foreign firms will have to choose
between doing business with the Islamic republic or the
economically mighty United States.
The sanctions, meant to punish Iran for its nuclear
programme, were contained in a mammoth USD 662 billion US
defence bill. Obama signed them into law despite reservations
they would ties his hands on setting foreign policy.
Iranian leaders and military officials have warned that
such sanctions could push them to close the strategic Strait
of Hormuz at the entrance to the Gulf.
Twenty per cent of the world`s oil passes through the
strait, making it the "most important choke point" globally,
according to the US Energy Information Administration.
Iranian naval forces are currently conducting a 10-day war
games near the strait.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India