US-Saudi security cooperation `very strong`: Napolitano
Jeddah: US Homeland Security Secretary
Janet Napolitano said on Monday the US and Saudi Arabia were
cooperating closely on security, and both shared a deep
concern about Yemeni militant activities.
"We all share a concern about terrorist activity
emanating from Yemen. Actions of the US in Yemen are with the
consent (and) cooperation of the government of Yemen,"
Napolitano said after meetings with King Abdullah and
other top Saudi officials.
She told journalists Washington was helping Saudi
Arabia develop security along the rugged, porous Saudi-Yemen
border, across which militants smuggle weapons and operatives
into Saudi Arabia.
"It is a very rough border... very difficult to
protect from illegal crossings... so many of our discussions
were about how to protect a very tough, geological,
topographical border from illegal crossings," she said.
Yemen is the ancestral homeland of Osama bin Laden
and the home base of al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP),
which has claimed responsibility for a failed Christmas
airliner bomb plot over Detroit in the United States.
"The security coordination is very strong with
Saudi Arabia," Napolitano said, adding the two sides discussed
at length programmes to counter the Islamic radicalisation
that feeds al Qaeda, as well as efforts to prevent militant
Saudi Arabia`s extensive operations to halt
radicalisation are "of great interest to the US," she said,
adding Washington and Sanaa are also closely cooperating in
fighting Islamic militants in Yemen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Live: Jayalalithaa dies at 68 after suffering cardiac arrest; mortal remains brought to her official residence
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what