US school shooting: Accused declared mentally unfit for trial
Oakland: A man accused of killing seven people at a small Northern California Christian college has been declared mentally unfit for trial by a court.
Agency reports said Alameda County Superior Court Judge Carrie Panetta temporarily suspended the case against One Goh after two psychiatric evaluations reached the conclusion that Goh suffers from paranoid schizophrenia.
An initial psychiatric evaluation found that Goh has had the disorder for several years.
Alameda County Assistant Public Defender David Klaus said after Monday`s brief hearing that both doctors who examined Goh had similar experiences. Goh`s condition causes him to have hallucinations and delusions and distrust people, including those trying to help him, Klaus said.
"He`s certainly a deeply troubled man," Klaus said. "He`s locked up in shame, remorse and sadness. He`s not eating, he`s not taking care of himself."
Klaus said he and his co-counsel have trouble talking with their client because of his mental state.
Goh is charged with seven counts of murder and three counts of attempted murder in the April 2 attack at Oikos University in Oakland.
He has pleaded not guilty and remains in jail.
Authorities have said Goh, a former Oikos student, planned the killing spree at the school that caters to Korean immigrants after becoming angry with school officials over a tuition dispute. He previously decided to drop out of the school`s nursing program.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened