US school shooting: `Hero` Maths teacher killed as he tried to intervene
Zee Media Bureau/Supriya Jha
Nevada: Less than a year after the Sandy Hook school shooting in December last year shook American consciences, the US on Monday got another school shooting incident to add to its list when a middle school student wielding a semiautomatic handgun opened fire, killing a teacher and injuring two minor students before shooting himself dead.
The shooting took place at around 7:15 am (local time) on Monday morning in Sparks Middle School when many parents were dropping their children to the school.
The slain victim, who was hailed as a "Hero" by the local police, has been identified as a 45 year old Mike Landsberry, who was a former US Marine and was also a Nevada Air National Guard.
Michael Landsberry is survived by his wife and two step-daughters.
According to a report in the Reno Gazette-Journal, Mike Landsberry died while trying to placate the situation and protect the students.
"We`ve got video we have to review, people we`ve got to talk to," said Tom Robinson, deputy chief of Reno police. "But in my estimation, he is a hero. We do know he was trying to intervene."
The fact that he was trying to help when killed did not come as a surprise to his relatives as he was "trained to help", reported the Reno Gazette-Journal.
“To hear he was trying to protect those kids, that he stepped up and tried to stop the situation, doesn’t surprise me at all..He could have ducked and hid, but he didn’t. That’s not who he is,” the report quoted Chanda Landsberry, the slain teacher`s sister-in-law.
The two other kids injured in the shooting are said to be 12-year olds and are reportedly in critical condition.
Expressing regret over the incident, Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval said, "I was deeply saddened to learn of the horrific shooting at Sparks Middle School this morning. Kathleen and I extend our thoughts and prayers to the victims and those affected by these tragic events."
The shooter has not yet been identified and the Mayor of Sparks, Geno Martini said that any motive behind the shooting was yet to be discovered.
The school shooting in Sparks, a city of 90,000, comes less than a year after the tragic December 14 shooting incident in Connecticut`s Sandy Hook Elementary school when 26 had been killed.
The Dec 14 killings had prompted a hot debate over the gun control laws in the US.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof