US school shooting sparks surge in gun sales
Washington: The Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown, Connecticut has sparked a surge in gun sales, according to independent arms dealers across the nation.
Robert Caselnova, who owns a Connecticut gun shop located less than 10 minutes from the school, said that ‘firearms flew’ off his shelves over the weekend.
He said that there were multiple requests for AR-15 style rifles, a weapon Adam Lanza used in the Newtown massacre.
According to the Huffington Post, Caselnova said he knew the Lanzas and that the mother and son had visited his store in the past, separately, but never made any purchases.
After high-profile shootings, debate over gun control can cause consumer demand for guns to rise, government records have shown.
Industry experts said fears that stricter laws will follow such incidents push people to stock up on firearms before regulators can clamp down, the report said.
Larry Hyatt, owner of North Carolina-based Hyatt Gun Shop, which claims to be America’s largest independently owned gun store, said he had a line out the door on Saturday, forcing him to call in extra sales people, the report added.
“We already have tons of customers because of Christmas, hunting season is peaking right now, and not to mention, the election,” Hyatt said.
“But this tragedy is pushing sales through the roof,” he added. “It’s like putting gasoline on a fire,” he added.
According to the report, at Ade’s Gun Shop in Orange, California, manager Lisa Atkinson said Saturday was the biggest day the shop has ever had, with some 13,000 dollars in sales.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!