US school under fire for pro-Islam history textbook
Washington: A Florida school has come under fire for having plenty of course material on Islam, but not so much on Christianity or Judaism.
Advanced Placement history students have plenty of course materials on Islam, including 36 pages in a textbook devoted to the religion, but not much on Christianity or Judaism, which led a state lawmaker to cause an outrage.
Republican Ritch Workman, about the Prentice World History textbook, said that the book has a 36-page chapter on Islam but not even one on Christianity, which is remarkably one-sided.
According to the Washington Times, Workman said the textbook, which has been on the Brevard County schools` approved course list for three years, has also re-written the history of Islam.
He looked through it and found the authors make a very obvious attempt not to insult Islam by reshaping history, the report said.
He claimed that students in the class are also taught about the Quran and pillars of Islam.
The publisher, Pearson, denied any bias in writing the book, but Workman said he was told by a spokesperson for the publisher that a Muslim cleric was hired to write the sections on Islam, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25