US scientist pleads guilty to taking government laptop to China
Albuquerque: A former scientist at a US government-owned nuclear weapons research facility in New Mexico pleaded guilty in federal court on Monday to illegally taking a lab-owned computer to China and lying about it, a US prosecutor said.
Jianyu Huang, 46, a naturalized US citizen from China who lives in Albuquerque, pleaded guilty to interstate transportation of a government-owned computer and computer-related media, the US Attorney for New Mexico said in a statement.
The scientist was fired in April 2012 from Sandia National Laboratories, a government-owned research facility operated by Sandia Corporation that is responsible in part for ensuring the safety of the nation`s nuclear weapons stockpile.
Huang also pleaded guilty to making a false statement to a counterintelligence officer in June 2011, the US Attorney said.
Under the terms of a plea deal, announced on Monday, Huang will be sentenced to one year and one day in federal prison followed by a term of supervised release, the length of which has yet to be determined by the court, the statement said.
Huang`s sentencing hearing has not been scheduled.
He was arrested in June 2012 on a six-count indictment that included charges he misused federal government resources and equipment to conduct research for Chinese research institutions.
Huang was also charged with falsely stating that he did not intend to take US government equipment with him on a trip to China, the statement said.
He worked in an unclassified capacity but was required to report substantive relationships with foreign nationals, including associations that involve meeting and sharing work-related information. He was also barred from taking government-owned equipment on foreign travel without prior approval.
Sandia National Laboratories` roots lie in the World War Two Manhattan Project, which built the first atomic bombs.
It says on its website that while it "originated as a single-mission engineering organization for nonnuclear components of nuclear weapons, today it is a multiprogram laboratory engaging in research supporting a broad spectrum national security issues."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM
- Biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Results 2016 to be announced today on 25th May, 2016 at 3 PM
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM